SolarWinds rolls out free full-featured IT management product
By Digital News Asia March 12, 2013
- Over 73% of respondents in a SolarWinds online survey said alert management was a real pain in their organization
- New free software solution consolidates, distributes and escalates IT alerts across multiple systems and teams
IT management software company SolarWinds has announced its first full-featured free product, SolarWinds Alert Central, which it said was designed to help simplify IT alert management.
SolarWinds Alert Central helps alleviate a pain felt by the majority of IT professionals, the company said in a statement. In a recent SolarWinds survey of over 150 IT professionals:
- Over 73% of survey respondents said alert management was a real pain in their organization;
- 65% said the methods they are currently using to manage on-call scheduling were “somewhat” or “not at all” effective;
- 75% of respondents said they get alerts that are not their problem to deal with at least once a month, while 50% said this happens at least once a week; and
- Getting alerts to the right people in a timely manner was listed as a major concern by many respondents.
“For most IT teams, alert management is a manual and tedious process involving spreadsheets, shared calendars, pagers and phones to manage alerts,” said Sanjay Castelino, vice president and market leader at SolarWinds.
“These methods ultimately rely on individuals to escalate issues in a timely fashion, which gives way to human error and takes up unnecessary time. Nobody likes being woken up in the middle of the night for a problem that’s not theirs, or finding out that a problem that should have been escalated never got the attention it needed.”
With SolarWinds Alert Central, IT pros can now centralize multi-system IT alerts in a single, consolidated view, give team members access to a scheduling calendar, escalate alerts automatically and enable IT personnel to respond from their computers or mobile devices with or without VPN (virtual private network) access all for free.
According to the company, SolarWinds Alert Central:
- Offers IT alert management access to unlimited users and teams;
- Consolidates alerts from multiple IT systems;
- Manages on-call scheduling for multiple teams;
- Escalates alerts automatically according to customizable rules;
- Integrates with virtually any IT management product that sends alerts;
- Sends alerts by email or text, user may respond with or without VPN access;
- Provides a weekly statistical and performance data report for each user or team, including open and closed alerts, time to close, and more; and
- Is completely free with no registration required.
IT pros looking for information focused on IT alert management can visit the SolarWinds IT professional community’s thwack space, Alert Central, to collaborate with peers and industry experts, ask questions, troubleshoot issues and request future features.
For more technology news and the latest updates, follow @dnewsasia on Twitter or Like us on Facebook.