Celcom rolls out M2M service for enterprise users
By Digital News Asia November 4, 2013
- Centralised portal for M2M customers to enjoy real-time billing and added monitoring features, etc.
- Future update will allow creation of third-party apps to suit customers’ specific business needs
CELCOM Axiata Berhad has launched M2M Connected Services, a machine-to-machine business solutions platform that would act as a one-stop solution for its enterprise customers.
These solutions include wireless payments and cash transactions, electricity and water supply monitoring and billing, CCTV monitoring, fleet management and tracking, and automated factory production.
Celcom’s M2M Connected Services will give new and current customers more control of the devices deployed throughout their business operations while providing fast development and easy customisation, the company said in a statement.
“Understanding that our customers demand flexibility and the ability to customise requirements in a short time, we conceived M2M Connected Services as a platform that simply puts them in the driver’s seat,” said Celcom Axiata chief business solutions officer Jefri Ahmad Tambi (pic).
“M2M Connected Services is the industry’s most comprehensive interface for ordering, activating and managing data packages and wireless services for M2M devices, giving our customers complete control of their applications and devices.
“The user experience is straightforward and the platform entirely removes all the complexity of integrating multiple data packages and network requirements,” he claimed.
The service enables the efficient management of usage and costs through features such as alarm triggers for airtime over-usage, preventing ‘bill shock’ and allowing customers to manage their businesses better for reduced network expenses and greater visibility into their subscriptions.
Users on the platform stand to enjoy real-time billing, self-service activation and deactivation, usage threshold management, and added monitoring features, Celcom Axiata claimed.
The platform is fully hosted on Celcom’s data centres and connected via its nationwide mobile network, allowing customers to customise security access through their M2M SIM (subscriber identity module) devices within a secure private network without needing to connect via the Internet.
Current business solutions which stand to benefit from this platform include:
- Credit card POS (point-of-sales): Banks and businesses will be able to monitor the data usage and SIM status of their mobile credit card POS readers to avoid over-data usage;
- Remote Meter Reading for Utilities: Electricity and water supply service providers are able to send and receive billing information remotely and in real time via mobile readers;
- Wireless ATM (automated teller machine): With M2M wireless connectivity, banking institutions will be able to install and monitor ATMs anywhere in Malaysia through Celcom’s widest nationwide mobile network with secure connections;
- Scada (supervisory control and data acquisition): Industrial operators can monitor the status of for the failure of components e.g. power generators, engines or motors to detect or anticipate failures that can cause disruptions in output and supply;
- Wireless CCTV (closed-circuit television): Subscribers can monitor live video feeds on-the-go via a dedicated cloud network; and
- Fleet management: M2M Connected Services can integrate vehicle monitoring, tracking, theft prevention, diagnostics, and route efficiency through a system accessible even from mobile devices
Celcom Axiata said that its M2M Connected Services will be upgraded in the “near future” to feature an additional M2M Gateway integrated with Celcom’s network elements, cloud hosting, direct integration with Celcom’s customer service applications, location-based services for deployed devices, support for multiple payment methods, and real-time usage enforcement, among others.
This update will also provide customers with access to the M2M Gateway’s application programming interface (API) and Over-the-Air (OTA) Device Management and Data Analytics, allowing the creation of third-party applications by programmers and developers to suit customers’ specific business needs.
Celcom’s M2M Connected Services is available free-of-charge to all current Celcom M2M accounts, and existing billing systems will be automatically migrated to this dedicated platform which can be accessed at m2mconnect.celcom.com.my.
Celcom partners nTels to offer M2M Connected Services
Ericsson platform to help DiGi streamline M2M services
Maxis launches solution for logistics and transportation SMEs
For more technology news and the latest updates, follow @dnewsasia on Twitter or Like us on Facebook.