Dell touts success with VRTX adoption
By Digital News Asia April 30, 2014
- Claims ‘thousands of customers from more than 50 countries’
- Myian in Malaysia says saved more than 70% in operational costs
DELL Inc said that its PowerEdge VRTX (pronounced ‘vertex’) all-in-one box designed specifically for office environments is seeing accelerated adoption by customers around the world, and announced enhancements to the line.
The converged infrastructure solution, launched in Malaysia last June, simplifies office IT by removing the complexities associated with disparate and sprawling hardware and multiple management tools, the company said in a statement.
Thousands of customers from more than 50 countries across six continents have deployed PowerEdge VRTX, Dell claimed.
Customers in healthcare, automotive, retail, financial, manufacturing, education and other verticals have used this integrated solution in novel ways to help them enhance their office IT environment and speed up response time to customer requests, it added.
Among them was Myian Sdn Bhd, a technology consulting and training company in Malaysia, which said it needed an infrastructure that could simulate real-world customer environments with secure, remote access, and help the company streamline operational costs and maximise its resources.
With the PowerEdge VRTX, Myian is now able to operate across geographies without the need for a physical presence in each country, as well as offer technology training and an environment in which its customers can run demonstrations and proof-of-concepts, Dell said.
“We wanted low costs and high value bundled into just one system,” said Myian director Noel Teng (pic, far right).
“The Dell PowerEdge VRTX platform provides us with networking, storage, servers and management all in one compact chassis.
“Compared with what hosting companies would normally charge for the costs of a rack mount, we were able to save more than 70% in operational costs by going with the Dell PowerEdge VRTX system.
“We’ve accelerated the breadth of our training offering and increased the depth of what our
customers are able to experience due to the data centre environment that the Dell PowerEdge VRTX solution has enabled us to simulate,” he said in the statement issued by Dell.
To read a case study on Myain’s adoption of the Dell PowerEdge VRTX, click here.
Since the introduction of PowerEdge VRTX, channel partners around the world have completed nearly 7,000 sales and technical courses.
The Dell PowerEdge VRTX was also described as “one of the most innovative server designs of the year” when receiving InfoWorld USA’s 2014 Technology of the Year Award and “double the fun” when it was awarded as one of CRN’s 2013 Products of the Year.
Other accolades include the IT Pro’s Innovation Award in the United Kingdom and Interop's Best of Show Award - Special Prize.
Dell said it is introducing new capabilities for PowerEdge VRTX to drive further simplicity, efficiency and performance in remote, branch and small business offices.
The enhancements include:
- Next-level data protection inside the chassis: For customers requiring the highest levels of availability and redundancy possible, Dell now offers an optional redundant PowerEdge Raid Controller (PERC), which provides RAID controller failover inside the Dell PowerEdge VRTX chassis.
- More server node choices: PowerEdge VRTX now offers additional server node choices – including the four-socket, PowerEdge M820 – to enable faster processing of workloads such as large, back-end database, business intelligence, data mining, enterprise resource planning (ERP), supply chain management (SCM) and customer relationship management (CRM) applications.
- Enhanced system management: By sharing a common design, the Chassis Management Controller (CMC) provides PowerEdge VRTX users with a familiar systems management tool to manage local or remote VRTX systems, just as CMC does in the data centre, along with enhancements in setting, updating and maintaining server and chassis configurations.
- Expanded support for virtual desktops: Dell PowerEdge VRTX now enables enhanced VDI in remote offices and branch offices by providing support for optional graphical processing units (GPUs).
The new features of Dell PowerEdge VRTX are available now. For more information about PowerEdge VRTX, go to www.dell.com.my/vrtx.
For more information on the potential financial advantages of moving to the Dell PowerEdge VRTX, check out the TCO calculator.
Dell’s converged infra solutions: Best in Singapore, JB and Batam
APAC server market closes in on US$10bil mark: IDC
Dell ramps up server and networking offerings
For more technology news and the latest updates, follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or Like us on Facebook.