Wisesight launches industry-based social statistics report
By Digital News Asia February 20, 2019
- Most of the country’s 24 million social consumers live in Kuala Lumpur
- Consumers aged between 25-34 years old are the largest group
WISESIGHT released the first of its kind Wisesight Insights Facebook Statistics Report on Feb 19. The report unveiled some key insights from social statistics based on consumers’ engagement patterns.
Wisesight conducted research into eight specific industries to reflect these brands’ social performance on Facebook in connection with Malaysians’ social behaviour in the third quarter of 2018. The eight industries covered were Banking, Beauty, Chain Restaurants, Education, Hospitality, Medical & Health, Real Estate and Retail Stores.
The research aims to help brands maximise content effectiveness based on three objectives:
- Hit Right Targets - Understand the competition as well as the consumers’ engagement patterns
- Save Cost - Optimise the cost of Facebook ads, by investing on the right day and timing
- Industrialise Insights - Learn that each industry has very different consumer behaviour and engagement
Once data was collected from the top Malaysian brand pages specific to these eight industries, Wisesight’s analysis revealed the industry movement in terms of total engagement, the average engagement per post by industry and the industry average number of posts per day.
What makes Wisesight’s research different from other social research is that it also includes analysis from the consumers’ side of engagement in correlation to the contents posted by brands by day and time.
“It is critical for brands to verify if they are indeed on the right track, even if it is their own field, as consumers are evolving everyday,” said Wisesight APAC founder, and regional director Shakthi Danelle Chidambar. “With that in mind we decided to provide a social guide of sorts for brands to learn about their position on social media.”
With multiple ethnic groups, Malaysia is one of the most interestingly complex and challenging in terms of social media populations. According to Wisesight research, Malaysia is the fifth country with the most active Facebook users in Southeast Asia with over 24 millions users.
The proportion of Malaysian Facebook users is made up of Male (56%) and Female(44%).
A majority of social consumers live in Kuala Lumpur and some have more than one Facebook account.
Furthermore, consumers aged between 25-34 years old are the the largest group of Facebook users in Malaysia, that in itself is a key take-away for brands when it comes to the type of content or communication being posted on their social channels.
The question brand stakeholders should be asking is if their content direction is able to resonate with this younger target audience that seem to own the Malaysian social sphere.
Some key insights that can be found in the Wisesight Insights Report include:
- Banking is the most active industry in terms of the highest postings per day and per month.
- Retail store brands had the highest engagements from consumers compared to the other industries.
- Consumers engaged less at the end of 2018 for the Education industry as the total engagement dropped by 31%.
- Medical & Health may not have been a forerunner in terms of volume of posts however this industry appears to be a favourite for sharing by consumers at 26%.
Related Stories :