MDEC's Malaysia Tech Month 2021 makes a comeback
By Digital News Asia July 27, 2021
- Event features 40 events and more than 300 local and international speakers, investors
- MTM21 targets more than 20,000 participants from over 50 countries
THE Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation is bringing back Malaysia Tech Month 2021 (MTM21) for a second year, an event it said will feature a line of internationally-renowned speakers
In a statement, MDEC said MTM21 is a virtual month-long curation of digital and technology content geared toward promoting investments in the digital economy.
Names include professor Dr Michio Kaku, theoretical physicist and bestselling author, Dr Luc Julia, chief scientific officer of Renault Group and the co-creator of Apple Siri; Michael Tchong, futurist and author; Inma Martinez, digital pioneer and artificial intelligence (AI) scientist.
Others include Taavi Kotka, first former chief information officer (CIO), Estonian government; and Ivana Bartoletti, technical director for privacy, Deloitte and co-founder, Women Leading in AI Network, UK.
Malaysia’s own personalities include Tony Fernandes, chief executive officer (CEO) of AirAsia Group; Eric Cheng, co-founder and group CEO of Carsome; Muhamad Fajrin Rasyid, co-founder of Bukalapak; and Kamarul Muhamed, founder and group CEO, Aerodyne Group.
Taking place from July 29 to Aug 30, MTM21 will feature over 40 events and more than 300 local and international industry speakers and investors, MDEC said.
Through keynotes, workshops, discussion panels and matching sessions, these industry leaders and tech innovators will share their thoughts and experiences on the fourth industrial revolution (4IR), current and future trends in technology, and the digital economy as a whole, it added.
“This year marks an important milestone for MDEC as we celebrate our 25th anniversary. In many ways, MTM21 is the celebration of the progress and achievements we’ve made since we were founded in 1996 to realise the dream of the Multimedia Super Corridor,” said Surina Shukri, chief executive officer (CEO) of MDEC.
“The event gives us the opportunity to broaden our minds and engage in conversations that ultimately drive us towards enabling a nation that is deeply integrated with technology and with equitable digital opportunities to the people and businesses.”
Targeting more than 20,000 participants from over 50 countries, MDEC said MTM21 will kick off with a two-day anchor event on July 29, headlined by Kaku, who will be speaking on the topic of the 'Five Big Ideas That Will Shape Our Future.'
The anchor event will highlight the journey of Malaysia as the original startup in the region with the launch of MSC Malaysia in 1996 to being the launch bed of unicorns, MDEC said.
MTM21 will also celebrate MDEC’s 25th anniversary silver jubilee, which begins with a chat on the agency’s journey since its 1996 inception featuring past MDEC executives and partners, it added.
The content will be rolled out in four themed weeks encapsulating MDEC’s 'NADI' Digital pillars, namely new skills, adoption, disruptors and investments.
- Week 1: Digital investment, focuses on Malaysia being the heart of digital Investments. Participants can engage with experts and existing investors on Malaysia’s digital investment landscape, how they can establish and grow in the country, with a view on the region’s investment outlook;
- Week 2: Digital ecosystem, driving the business ecosystem to embrace digitalisation, utilising 4IR tools at their disposal, and understanding vital aspects such as cybersecurity;
- Week 3: Digital skills, nurturing future-ready talent for the global market. The week delves into topics like careers in the digital economy, digital tools that can enhance the workforce, and exploring the future of work; and
- Week 4: Digital disruptors, deep-dives into the digital-led disruptions of today, from Islamic fintech, cryptocurrency and mobile commerce to digital banks and mobile esports.
MDEC said MTM21 is Malaysia’s marquee investment promotion platform and serves to connect Malaysian startups and scale-ups to international investors. It also serves to provide business and talent matching and investment opportunities, it added.
Visitors and participants will be able to keep track of MTM21’s events and talks as well as network with fellow attendees via the Hubilo events app, which can be downloaded on Google Play and Apple App Store.
Click here for more information on MTM21.
Related Stories :