Ralph Marshall quits as Maxis non-exec director
By Digital News Asia July 17, 2015
- Company cites change in nominee directors of majority shareholder
- Marshall under investigation in India and Indonesia in two different cases
AUGUSTUS Ralph Marshall (pic above), under investigation in two countries, has tendered his resignation as independent non-executive director at Maxis Bhd, the company said in a filing with Bursa Malaysia.
In its filing, it said the 63-year-old Marshall had resigned because of a change in nominee directors of Maxis Communications Bhd, the majority shareholder of Maxis Bhd.
He remains an executive director of Usaha Tegas Sdn Bhd, the executive deputy chairman and group chief executive officer of Astro Holdings Sdn Bhd group, non-independent non-executive deputy chairman of Astro Malaysia Holdings Bhd, and an executive director of Tanjong Public Limited Company, in which Usaha Tegas has significant interests.
Usaha Tegas is also the biggest shareholder in Maxis Communications Bhd.
In addition, he is a director in an independent non-executive capacity and chairman of the audit committee of KLCC Property Holdings Bhd, a non-executive director of Measat Global Bhd and KLCC REIT Management Sdn Bhd.
Marshall is also considered a close personal friend and aide to tycoon and Astro owner T. Ananda Krishnan, which Forbes has listed as the 129th wealthiest person in the world with a net worth of US$9.7 billion at the start of 2015, and the second richest in Malaysia.
Late last year, the federal police in India filed charges of alleged corruption against South Indian politician Dayanidhi Maran, who was India’s telecommunications minister between 2004 and 2007; and his brother billionaire Kalanithi Maran. Both Ananda and Marshall were named in the charge sheet.
India’s Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) started investigating the Maran brothers and Ananda in 2011 after allegations that the telecoms minister had forced the sale of mobile carrier Aircel, allowing Maxis to acquire a controlling stake in 2006, according to a Reuters report published in the New Straits Times.
Maxis Communications Bhd has denied any wrongdoing and said it would vigorously pursue all available legal remedies to defend itself and Marshall, according to Reuters.
In 2012, Marshall was also named a suspect in a case that involves the illegal use of operational funds at a company in Indonesia.
The Jakarta Globe reported that Indonesian police were in the process of requesting that Interpol issue a ‘red notice’ against Marshall, who was then group chief executive officer of Astro All Asia Networks.
New Maxis CEO will have to deal with aggressive board
Leading Maxis’ mind-set change, and the ‘Magic 30’
For more technology news and the latest updates, follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or Like us on Facebook.