Red Hat announces OpenStack-powered offerings to deliver on open hybrid cloud vision
By Digital News Asia June 26, 2013
- Two new single-subscription solutions: Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform and Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure
- Built on its enterprise-class open source solutions, backed by Red Hat support, supported by broad ecosystem of partners
OPEN source solutions company Red Hat Inc has announced two new products offerings with one vision of delivering an ‘open hybrid cloud.’
The solutions are Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform which serves as the foundation for advanced cloud users who are seeking to build an OpenStack-powered cloud; and Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure, designed to support organisations on their journey from traditional data centre virtualisation to OpenStack-powered clouds.
The new offerings are built on Red Hat’s enterprise-class open source solutions, backed by Red Hat support, supported by a broad ecosystem of partners through the Red Hat OpenStack Cloud Infrastructure Partner Network, and designed to make it easier for enterprises to adopt OpenStack, the company said in a statement.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform combines the power of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with the OpenStack cloud platform to deliver a scalable and secure foundation for building a private or public cloud, it said.
Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure enables organisations to implement an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) solution that is suitable for traditional applications as well as emerging cloud-aware applications, with an open cloud management solution spanning them.
With Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure, organisations can move to new cloud-aware application architecture on their own terms: At their own pace, with their own IT policies, and under their own control, Red Hat claimed.
Designed to meet the needs of advanced cloud users, telecommunications companies, Internet service providers (ISPs) and public cloud hosting providers, Red Hat Enterprise OpenStack Platform is a single subscription offering that combines:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server, providing a secure and certified foundation for running the OpenStack workload servers (compute nodes, storage nodes, and controller nodes) as well as a scalable, high performance Linux operating system for guest virtual machines; and
- Red Hat OpenStack, providing a highly scalable, fault tolerant platform optimised for and integrated with Red Hat Enterprise Linux for the development of a managed private or public cloud for cloud-enabled workloads.
Organisations are faced with the challenge associated with managing the long term shift from traditional data centre virtualisation to more cloud-enabled architectures as well as charting the course for moving their application workloads from one architecture to another, while maintaining manageability and policies across discrete platforms.
Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure is designed to address this need and is a single subscription offering that consists of four component technologies:
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization: A comprehensive data centre virtualisation product for Linux and Windows workloads that enables users to build an agile, secure virtualisation foundation with the features needed for traditional enterprise application workloads;
- Red Hat CloudForms: An open hybrid cloud management solution that provides visibility and control over existing heterogeneous virtual infrastructures and lets users deploy, monitor, and manage cloud services across Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, VMware vSphere, and other virtualisation solutions, hypervisors, and platforms;
- Red Hat OpenStack: A highly scalable IaaS solution that delivers an open, flexible, and enterprise-ready private cloud foundation built on the community OpenStack project integrated with and optimised for Red Hat Enterprise Linux; and
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server: The world’s leading enterprise Linux, available as the scalable, high performance Linux operating system for guest virtual machines running on the OpenStack compute nodes.
Both Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform and Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure will be available in July 2013.
Red Hat will be working with a small set of pilot solution provider and systems integration partners in select geographies, with plans to expand the number of partners and geographies over time with partners who can deliver a total solution with Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform and Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure.
Red Hat keeps its momentum
Melaka state govt goes open source in a big way
For more technology news and the latest updates, follow @dnewsasia on Twitter or Like us on Facebook.