IBM claims server leadership in Asean, citing IDC
By Digital News Asia December 26, 2012
- IBM in Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam ranked No 1 in overall server revenue share for Q3 2012
- 91.3% market share in high-end enterprise segment in Malaysia, 82.6 points higher than closest competitor
IBM has claimed a leadership position in the server market in Malaysia in terms of overall server revenue market share for the third quarter of 2012, citing IDC’s Asia/Pacific Quarterly Enterprise Server Tracker report.
In Malaysia, IBM reclaimed the No 1 server position again with a 36.7% share of the market by revenue, gaining one point of share higher than the next closest competitor for Q3 2012, the company said in a statement.
“Our clients' desire to become cloud ready, data ready and security ready is a key reason behind this industry recognition of IBM's leadership in the server space in Malaysia,” claimed Arshad Munir Sharif, general manager, Systems and Technology Group, IBM Malaysia.
“Clients need IT infrastructures that will enable them to retain their competitive edge. As big data, cloud computing and the growing spotlight on security across the application and infrastructure layer becomes essential among forward thinking organizations, IBM Smarter Computing server and storage offerings will continue to be the top choice," he added.
IBM has a continued focus on Smarter Computing systems, aimed at solving the varied and intensifying challenges organizations are facing, from security vulnerabilities to managing ballooning data volumes that are expanding through social and mobile technologies.
With Smarter Computing, businesses can be “tomorrow ready” today, with the infrastructure that allows them to master big data, social media, mobile devices, analytics and also the flow of critical information, the company claimed.
IBM was the No 1 ranked vendor in the following server segments in Malaysia in Q3 2012:
- High-end Enterprise (US$250,000+ servers) segment with 91.3% revenue share (82.6 points higher share than the next closest competitor);
- RISC and EPIC servers segment with 61.6% revenue share (40.5 points higher than the next closest competitor);
- Non-x86 Unix server revenue segment with 41.5% (9.6 points higher than the next closest competitor); and
- x86 server revenue share with 53% (32.6 points higher than the next closest competitor)
IBM also regained leadership of the highly-competitive Server market in Asean, with a 34.2% market share in terms of market share revenue, 1.3 points higher than the next closest competitor.
IBM Asean also won the top spot in Q3 2012 for:
- High-end enterprise (US$250,000+ server segment, capturing a 77.7% revenue share, 57 points higher than the next closest competitor);
- The RISC/ EPIC server market by revenue, with a 54.7% share (29.1 points higher than the next closest competitor);
- Non-x86 Unix server revenue share with 57.8% (34 points higher than the next closest competitor); and
- x86 server revenue share with 50.7% (23.3 points higher than the next closest competitor)