MDEC announces AI and Data Week 2021
By Digital News Asia October 21, 2021
- Week-long events co-organised with Kearney
- Themed “AI in Malaysia – Racing Towards the Future”
The Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) has announced the coming of the AI and Data Week 2021 (AIDW 2021), a week-long curation of virtual events focusing on the Internet of Things (IoT), data, and artificial intelligence (AI).
In a statement, MDEC said AIDW 2021 will take place from Oct 25 to Oct 29 and will feature a host of talks and panel discussions by data and industry experts with the aim to foster a thriving data and AI ecosystem.
“Malaysia is witnessing a significant growth in data-driven adoption among organisations and businesses.
“The MDEC and the Malaysian government are cognisant of the importance of data not only in driving efficiency and improving governance, but also in growing the Malaysian digital economy,” said Mahadhir Aziz (pic, above), CEO of MDEC.
This includes the mindset, integration, and adoption of the IoT, Data, and AI among enterprises, working professionals, government officials and the public, it said.
Data-driven spending in Malaysia is on the rise. An MDEC-commissioned study by IDC found that Malaysia’s big data and analytics market is set to grow from US$1.1 billion (RM4.5 billion) in 2021 to US$1.9 billion (RM7.89 billion) in 2025.
Additionally, Kearney’s report on the future of AI in Southeast Asia noted that while AI adoption in the region is still nascent, proper application and execution of AI can add US$115 billion to the Malaysia’s GDP by 2030, MDEC cited.
Mahadhir said AIDW 2021 serves as one of the core platforms for us to accelerate the availability, accessibility, and usability of data amongst the Malaysian society and the economy.
“Through successful application of data and AI, we can drive a productive, progressive, and inclusive digital economy in line with the Malaysia Digital Economy Blueprint (MyDIGITAL) and the goals of the Twelfth Malaysia Plan (12MP),” said Mahadhir.
On top of a host of talks and panel discussions surrounding IoT, Data and AI-related topics, AIDW 2021 will feature an Anchor Event co-organised with global management consulting firm Kearney that includes in-depth discussions into topics specifically on AI.
Highlights of AIDW 2021 include:
- Anchor Event: AI in Malaysia – Racing Towards the Future. Jointly organised by Kearney and MDEC, this Anchor Event features two executive roundtables that seek to discuss what Malaysia should do to realise the full potential of AI (26 October, 9.00am – 12.30pm); and
- Future Disruption: Adopt, Adapt or Fail Harder. IoT, Data and AI are advancing industries into the future and disrupting traditional processes. To survive, it is important for industries from all sectors to learn and understand the application of data technology for businesses and consumers (25 October, 10.00am – 5.00pm).
- Empowering the Agriculture Sector with Digital Technologies. Being fertilised with the infusion of digital agriculture technologies (AgTech), this insightful panel session will see digital farmers sharing their journey on sustaining and scaling the application of AgTech to improve the livelihoods of the many (27 October, 2:30pm – 4:00pm).
To participate in AIDW 2021, visit here.
In conjunction with AIDW 2021, MDEC has introduced DataKITA.Hub, a platform designed to assist businesses in embarking and enriching their data journeys, MDEC said.
For more information on DataKITA.Hub, visit here.
Related Stories :