Five MSC companies get TAP innovation boost
By Digital News Asia December 9, 2013
- TAP-ping into tripartite partnership between MDeC, Mimos and NVIDIA
- New initiative to accelerate development of solutions by MSC Malaysia companies
FIVE Malaysian companies have received support through the Technology Acceleration Programme (TAP), an initiative driven by a tripartite partnership between Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC), Mimos Bhd and NVIDIA Corporation.
Launched in April 2013, the initiative is an effort to assist and accelerate the development process of market-driven local products, national ICT custodian MDeC said in a statement.
TAP saw many applications from Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC Malaysia) status companies, five of which were selected to participate in the programme after a pitching session conducted in June.
These are TESS Innovation Sdn Bhd, N2N Connect Bhd, Cube Global Sdn Bhd, Phoenix Minds Corporation Sdn Bhd and Data Micron Systems Sdn Bhd.
“TAP offers a new platform for local companies and technology providers to work together and enhance their offerings by gaining as much knowledge, training and guidance in building and strengthening their solutions,” said Dr Karl Ng, director of Innovation Capital at MDeC.
“These companies are exposed to already established and successful organisations that are ready and eager to support them.
“MDeC is proud to be part of this initiative as it contributes towards our aim to move Malaysia into a digital economy. This partnership serves to encourage upcoming business pioneers to further expand their offerings with the right tools,” he added.
MDeC oversees both the MSC Malaysia project which aims to boost the ICT industry, and the Digital Malaysia programme which aims to transform the nation into a digital economy.
In its pilot year, the TAP initiative assists local companies by establishing partnerships with relevant leading technology providers who together, have built an accelerated early adopter platform to enhance the knowledge on how best to leverage NVIDIA’s architecture with Mimos’ technologies whilst these companies create solutions on graphics processing unit (GPU) computing technologies.
The TAP participants underwent a four-day training workshop for both basic and advanced Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) programming which was conducted by Mimos and Nvidia experts.
The training was aimed to familiarise the participants with CUDA programming and GPU technology before moving on to the development phase of GPU applications.
Each participant was also paired with a technical mentor who was on hand to assist the participants on adoption and development of GPU technology prototypes.
On Nov 19, the five participants presented their achievements that were derived from the programme to a judging panel. Each participant demonstrated the improvements made with their system’s processing speed through parallel processing using NVIDIA GPU. The winning teams are as follows:
TAP Award Winner
- N2N Connect Bhd with its Strategy Optimisation Accelerator which is able to significantly increase the processing speed of stock trading data and reduce the processing time.
TAP Award 1st Runner-up
- TESS Innovation Bhd with its Xcelerated Anti Money Laundering(AML) Watchlist Search via GPU which is able to reduce the task processing time of Watchlist Scanning by more than 100%.
TAP Award 2nd Runner-up
- Phoenix Minds Corporation Sdn Bhd with its Personal Emergency Assistance Solution (PEAS) where an implemented mobile application will locate and alert the nearest person or neighbour whenever the user is in danger or in a life-threatening situation.
Other TAP participants
- Cube Global Sdn Bhd with its Virtual Forest system which collates data from 20 million data points that are located on every tree in a specified forest.
- Data Micron Systems Sdn Bhd with its development of an aggregation engine with high performance GPU for big data query processing.
All five participants of the TAP initiative will now be able to showcase their complemented GPU products on the NVIDIA marketplace while the top three winners walked away with cash prizes.
For more information on the TAP initiative please contact MSC Malaysia Client Contact Centre (CliC) at 1-800-88-8338 or email [email protected].
NVIDIA opens GPU R&D center in Malaysia with Mimos
Mimos to mentor Sudan’s ICT park and help build its industry
Author Name :
By commenting below, you agree to abide by our ground rules.