Samsung introduces the Galaxy Fold
By Digital News Asia February 22, 2019
- Said to be the world’s first Dynamic Amoled Infinity Flex Display
- Offers a powerful new way to multitask, watch videos, play games
SAMSUNG Electronics Co, Ltd unveiled the Galaxy Fold, a new foldable device creating a new mobile category.
Galaxy Fold features the world’s first 7.3-inch Dynamic Amoled Infinity Flex Display, which folds into a compact device with a cover display. Galaxy Fold offers a powerful new way to multitask, watch videos, play games, and more.
“Today, Samsung is writing the next chapter in mobile innovation history by changing what’s possible in a smartphone. Galaxy Fold introduces a completely new category that unlocks new capabilities never seen before with our Infinity Flex Display,” said DJ Koh, president and chief executive officer of IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics.
“We created Galaxy Fold for those that want to experience what a premium foldable device can do, beyond the limitations of a traditional smartphone.”
A smartphone and a tablet
Galaxy Fold is in a category of its own. Users now have a compact device that unfolds to reveal Samsung’s largest-ever smartphone display.
Galaxy Fold brings together material, engineering and display innovations, developed over eight years following the debut of Samsung’s first flexible display prototype in 2011.
- New display materials: The internal screen folds. Folding is a more intuitive motion, and a more difficult innovation to deliver. Samsung invented a new polymer layer and created a display around 50% thinner than the typical smartphone display. The new material makes Galaxy Fold flexible and tough, built to last.
- New hinging mechanism: Galaxy Fold opens smoothly and naturally, like a book, and closes flat and compact with a click. To achieve this, Samsung engineered a hinge with multiple interlocking gears. This system is housed in a hidden enclosure for a seamless look.
- New design elements: The fingerprint scanner is found on the side where the thumb naturally rests, so the device unlocks easily. Two batteries and the components are evenly distributed so Galaxy Fold feels balanced in your hands. Colors with unique finishing—Space Silver, Cosmos Black, Martian Green and Astro Blue —and the engraved hinge with Samsung logo complete its fit and finish.
Galaxy Fold changes to the screen you need, the moment you need it. Slip it out of your pocket for one-handed calls, texts, and more and open for endless multitasking and higher quality viewing on Samsung’s largest mobile display for presentations, digital magazines, movies, and AR content.
The UX built for Galaxy Fold, provides new ways to get the most out of the smartphone:
- Multi-active window: You can open up to three active apps simultaneously on the main display so you can surf, text, work, watch and share.
- App continuity: Make intuitive, seamless transitions between the cover and the main displays. As Galaxy Fold opens and closes, apps will automatically show up where you leave off. When you’re ready to take a photo, make in-depth edits, or have a closer look at the feed, open the display for a big screen and fuller canvas.
Samsung worked with Google and the Android developer community to ensure that apps and services were available for the Galaxy Fold’s unique experience.
Performance built to fold
Galaxy Fold is built for the heaviest and intense use whether it’s working, playing or sharing — all of which requires advanced performance. Packed with powerful hardware, the Galaxy Fold is more than up to the task.
- Do more: Samsung equipped Galaxy Fold with a high-powered, next-generation AP chipset and 12GB of RAM with PC-like performance. The dual battery system was specifically engineered. Galaxy Fold is also capable of charging itself and a second device simultaneously via Wireless PowerShare, while connected to a regular charger.
- Ultimate multimedia experience: The Galaxy Fold is designed for entertainment. Thanks to immersive visuals on the Dynamic AMOLED display and crisp, clear sound by AKG with the stereo speakers, your favorite movies and games come to life in rich sound and color.
- Samsung’s most versatile camera yet: No matter which way you hold — or fold — the device, a camera will be ready to capture the scene, so you never miss the moment. With six lenses—three in the back, two on the inside and one on the cover—the Galaxy Fold camera system has flexibility built in. Galaxy Fold alloww you to use other apps during a video call.
Galaxy Fold will be available in the second quarter of 2019.