Microsoft’s Surface Pro rolls out in Malaysia
By Digital News Asia June 7, 2013
- Surface Pro an example of how the lines between PCs and tablets are blurring: IDC
- Two configurations, 64GB and 128GB, priced at RM2,749 and RM3,049 respectively
MICROSOFT Malaysia has announced that its Surface Pro tablet would be available in participating retail outlets nationwide from June 7 onwards, about a month after the Surface RT rolled out.
“We were thrilled with the enthusiastic response the Surface RT received, and have since been hard at work to bring in the Surface Pro,” said Microsoft Malaysia managing director Carlos Lacerda (pic).
“It’s the power and productivity of a full-fledged laptop, in the sleek, svelte form factor of a tablet that truly transforms the way Malaysians live in today’s on-the-go lifestyle,” he added.
Lacerda believes the Surface Pro would be especially appealing to corporations and businesses looking for “a lightweight, durable, powerful device that is specifically designed with additional enterprise-grade security features, as well as optimised to work with in-house applications they may already have.”
According to Bryan Ma, associate vice president of IDC Asia/Pacific, “PCs may be under pressure from tablets these days, but the silver lining is that this has in turn spurred the industry to come up with interesting product designs that are very different from the stodgy boxes that we had seen in the past.”
“Microsoft's Surface Pro, among other products, is an example of how the lines between PCs and tablets are blurring, and how the ecosystem can still produce inspirational products that can also be functional for certain users like business professionals and road warriors," he added.
The Surface Pro retails in two configurations, 64GB and 128GB, priced at RM2,749 and RM3,049 respectively. At the same time, the full range of touch cover colours has been expanded from the current black, white, and cyan options to now include red and magenta; which will retail for RM379 each. The black type cover remains at RM409.
Microsoft also announced that it will be expanding the list of participating retail partners. Presently, Surface is available through selected stores nationwide from three participating retail partners, namely: Challenger Malaysia, Harvey Norman, and Thunder Match Technology.
From today onwards, Malaysians can also purchase Surface through an additional retail partner, SNS Network, at Greentown Business Centre, Ipoh; AEON Kinta City, Ipoh; AEON Station 18, Ipoh; and AEON Sri Manjung, Sitiawan, Perak.
Surface Pro specs
The Surface Pro is 64-bit PC in a tablet format. Both the 64GB and 128GB storage configurations are powered by an Intel Core i5 processor, and come with the Windows 8 Pro operating system.
Weighing less than two pounds and measuring just 13.5 millimeters thin, it boasts touch-enhanced applications that run smoothly alongside popular desktop software, Microsoft claims.
- Windows 8 Pro: Tablet meets laptop in a machine with the power and legacy of Microsoft applications and security features, all in one place.
- Surface pen: Surface Pro includes a pen that lets you jot down ideas anytime, anywhere. Distinctively crafted to work with Surface, the pen allows you to edit, collaborate and do your signature work.
- Click in, and do more: Two ways to click in and do more – Touch Cover and Type Cover. Doubling as a protective screen cover, both keyboards offer productivity with style and convenience.
- Kickstand: Surface was designed with an integrated kickstand that makes work instant and easy. Just flip out the kickstand and you’re ready to get busy.
- Security: Surface Pro combines the security and manageability that you expect from Microsoft. BitLocker encrypts your hard drive’s data, helping keep your stuff safe. Install applications and connect with accessories and printers, just like you always have.
- Connectivity: When your creations need to be shared with others, connect to projectors, big screens or displays by plugging into the Mini DisplayPort. This HD connection lets presentations, videos and documents take center stage.
Author Name :
By commenting below, you agree to abide by our ground rules.