Maxis activates 4G LTE for Apple devices
By Digital News Asia April 10, 2013
- Customers using the iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPad 4 can now enjoy 4G LTE speeds in selected areas
- Expects to expand 4G LTE coverage in Klang Valley, Penang and Johor Baru by Q3
MAXIS Berhad has announced that customers using the iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPad 4 can now enjoy the speed of its 4G LTE (Fourth Generation Long-Term Evolution) network.
These three Apple devices join the Nokia Lumia 920 and HTC One XL which were the first two smartphones to be activated on Maxis’ 4G LTE network, the company said in a statement.
In 2009, Maxis was the first to introduce the iPhone to Malaysia, said its joint chief operating officer (COO) Suren J. Amarasekera. It is now announcing that customers using the Apple iPhone 5, fourth generation iPad with Retina display and iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular model can use its 4G LTE network.
“We are certain that our Apple customers will be pleasantly surprised with the superb experience with Maxis’ 4G LTE network,” he claimed.
With 4G LTE, customers using iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPad 4 can experience download speeds five to 10 times faster than 3G, enabling them to upload pictures and video 10 times faster, Maxis claimed.
Customers can expect their Facebook news feeds to download up to four times faster compared with HSPA+. Backing up or uploading of big files – for example more than 50MB – to Dropbox will be up to seven times faster, the company said.
Following the 4G LTE activation for these Apple devices, customers on Maxis iValue plans as well as data plans of 1G and above will receive an SMS requesting them to update the settings on their devices.
Once they do so, they will automatically be able to experience 4G LTE speeds in Maxis 4G LTE coverage areas. In areas where 4G LTE services are not available, the device will automatically and seamlessly fall back onto Maxis’ 3G network.
“Since the launch of our high-speed 4G LTE network on Jan 1, we have worked hard to expand our footprint,” said Maxis joint COO Mark Dioguardi (pic).
“At present, we have successfully quadrupled our 4G LTE coverage, allowing approximately 100,000 customers to enjoy super-fast Internet from Maxis.
“We are extremely encouraged by the take up of our 4G LTE service and in response will expand coverage to more areas in the Klang Valley as well as Penang and Johor Baru by the third quarter of 2013,” he added.
Maxis now has 4G LTE service available in the following areas:
- Bangsar, Mont Kiara, Desa Park, Damansara Heights
- Damansara Utama
- Kota Damansara, Sunway Damansara
- Puchong (Wawasan Puchong, Bandar Kinrara 1, Bandar Kinrara 3, Bandar Kinrara 4, Bandar Puteri)
- Seapark, Dataran Prima, Tropicana
- Petaling Jaya Section 13, 14, 17, 19, SS2
- Sunway, Kampung Tunku, SS2, SS3
- Taman Desa, Pantai Dalam, Old Klang Road
- Taman Gembira, Desa Petaling
- Taman Kinrara 2, Taman Kinrara 3, Taman Kinrara 4
- Taman Megah (SS23, SS24, SS26), Kelana Jaya
- Taman Tun Dr Ismail (TTDI), Bandar Utama, Mutiara Damansara
- USJ3, USJ4, USJ5, USJ9, USJ11, USJ12, USJ13.
For more details, please refer to www.maxis.com.my/4GLTE.
Author Name :
By commenting below, you agree to abide by our ground rules.