EMC in cloud acquisition hattrick
By Digital News Asia November 14, 2014
- Buys Cloudscaling, Maginatics and Spanning to extend hybrid cloud strategy
- Also announces EMC Enterprise Hybrid Cloud Solution
EMC Corp has announced the acquisition of three cloud technology companies: The Cloudscaling Group Inc, Maginatics Inc and Spanning Cloud Apps Inc.
Each company brings to EMC expertise and capabilities that would enable it to extend the reach of its hybrid cloud vision across cloud infrastructure, storage and data protection, EMC said in a statement.
The acquisitions, together with the announcement of the EMC Enterprise Hybrid Cloud Solution, underscore its commitment to customers to deliver choice and agility in hybrid cloud deployments, the company claimed.
Businesses are demanding more than ever from IT. They want choice in devices, rapid creation and deployment of new services, and flexibility as to where applications live, how they are managed and by whom, EMC said.
Against this backdrop, they also want to do more with less, lower their costs and have the ability to scale instantaneously.
To meet these expectations, IT organisations must deliver IT-as-a-Service (ITaaS) via a hybrid cloud that brings together the performance, security, and control of private cloud with the flexibility and cost advantages of public cloud, EMC said.
With today’s acquisitions, EMC broadens its cloud capabilities on three key dimensions: The ability to offer customers hybrid cloud solutions based on OpenStack technology, cloud choice with data mobility across multiple clouds, and new protection capabilities for ‘born in the cloud’ applications and data.
“We could not be more excited to welcome Cloudscaling, Maginatics and Spanning to EMC,” said David Goulden (pic), chief executive officer (CEO) of EMC Information Infrastructure.
“What we have here is a trifecta of customer choice for hybrid cloud environments. Each company offers unique technology for delivering cloud abstraction and flexibility for customers.
“Together with the new EMC Enterprise Hybrid Cloud solution, EMC customers and partners are better positioned than ever to capitalise on the promise of hybrid clouds and deliver the agility of IT-as-a-Service that their businesses require,” he added.
- Cloudscaling provides OpenStack-powered Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) for private and hybrid cloud solutions, and is a founding member of the OpenStack Foundation.
- Maginatics is a cloud technology provider offering a highly consistent global namespace accessible from any device or location, unlocking enterprise hybrid cloud choice and flexibility for EMC customers and partners through interfaces into a variety of private and public clouds.
- Spanning provides subscription-based backup and recovery for ‘born in the cloud’ applications and data.
Cloudscaling CEO Randy Bias and team will join the EMC Emerging Technologies Division led by its president C.J. Desai. Maginatics CEO Amarjit Gil and team, along with Spanning CEO Jeff Erramouspe and team, will join EMC’s newly formed Core Technologies Division led by its president Guy Churchward.
EMC may shift SEA focus to Malaysia and Indonesia next year
Malaysia a good market for cloud service providers: EMC
Lotus F1 accelerates championship roadmap with EMC
TwinStrata a strategic fit for EMC
Author Name :
By commenting below, you agree to abide by our ground rules.