Shopee warns public not to fall for fake messages
By Digital News Asia January 11, 2022
- Does not employ individuals to recruit employees via messaging platforms
- Only hosts contests on Shopee app, official Shopee social media, Whatsapp
E-commerce giant, Shopee, has issued a warning to the public to beware of individuals online impersonating Shopee employees offering employment opportunities, cash rewards, and lucky draw prizes via messaging platforms, such as WhatsApp.
In a statement, the e-commerce platform said it does not employ any individuals to recruit employees through messaging platforms for purposes of ‘increasing the exposure rate of merchants’.
Moreover, it will only be hosting contests such as 'Lucky Draws,' 'Tap and Win,' and 'Spin and Win,' via the official Shopee app, official Shopee social media pages and official Shopee WhatsApp verified business account, which will bear the 'verified' check marks.
Shopee wishes to remind Malaysians to avoid these scams, and not to fall prey to these fake employment offers or rewards.
Should any member of the public find themselves being offered questionable job opportunities or contests, or have fallen victim to such scams, they are advised to contact the nearest police station and file a police report immediately.
Alternatively, Malaysians can also reach out to Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) via:
- SEMAKMULE, a PDRM platform to check on bank accounts and telephone numbers involved with commercial crimes here;
- CCID Infoline (8:00AM to 12:00AM), a PDRM WhatsApp channel to check on the status of police reports and submit information on commercial crime cases: 013-211 1222; and
- CCID Scam Response Centre (8:00AM to 8:00PM), a PDRM information hotline to submit information or inquire information on online scams: 03-26101559 / 03-26101599.
Shopee said it will continue to work closely with the relevant authorities in tackling these scams.
For those interested in pursuing a career at Shopee, please visit here for more information. When in doubt about a role that is being advertised or offered, please reach out here for further clarification before taking any action.
Similarly, if in doubt of any contests being promoted by Shopee, please contact our Customer Service hotline at +603 2777 9222 or email [email protected] to verify.
Malaysians can also stay up to date on other potential scams via our dedicated cybercrime awareness microsite here.
Related Stories :