MCMC to cooperate with MACC on fund management issues
By Digital News Asia July 18, 2019
- Under the previous Minister, approval for projects was not transparent
- Initiatives now in place to reform and improve existing procedures
THE Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) takes serious note of the findings and recommendations raised in the latest edition of Auditor-General’s Report 2018 Series 1 that has highlighted mismanagement of the MCMC Fund.
The report revealed that under the previous Minister’s helm, the approval for projects was not implemented transparently as the funds were released without a clear basis. This has breached the requirements under the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission Act 1998.
MCMC under the helm of Gobind Singh Deo, the Minister of Communications and Multimedia has implemented various initiatives in reforming and improving existing procedures and enhancing governance since May last year. This include:
- Stopped all Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programmes for the Minister and the existing allocation has been transferred to MCMC’s operating expenses
- Updated existing guidelines on financial authority limits to ensure that every approval involving MCMC’s finances are approved by those who are authorised and mandated to give approval
- Dissolution of subcommittees previously entrusted to approve matters closely related to the usage of the MCMC Fund, whereby those items (subject to the updated financial authority limit) would be extended to Commission Members for assessment and approval
- Standard operating procedures for any approval are enhanced whereby each project, rising matters and every item that needs approval from the management are presented, discussed and/or approved in MCMC’s Management Committee Meeting before it is presented to Commission Members
MCMC would like to reiterate that it will not tolerate any misconduct by any of its officers. MCMC believes in the effective investigation by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) and will fully cooperate with the MACC throughout their investigation process.
As a regulator responsible for the communications and multimedia industry in Malaysia, MCMC adheres to its integrity values and is confident in improving performance to successfully develop a world-class communications and multimedia industry.
Related Stories :
Author Name :
By commenting below, you agree to abide by our ground rules.