Lazada hits US$250 mil GMV in grand finale of Online Revolution campaign
By Digital News Asia December 27, 2017
- Campaign showcases the growing trust and relevancy of eCommerce in Malaysia
- Larger pool of shoppers, growing diversity across generations & geographical locations
LEADING eCommerce platform, Lazada Malaysia, together with Lazada Group, wrapped up their month-long Online Revolution campaign by crushing its regional online sales records. The 12.12 grand finale sale raked in US$250 million (RM1.02 billion) in gross merchandise value (GMV), more than doubling last year’s sales. It also shattered the 11.11 record of US$123 million (RM501.6 million), set only a month ago.
The Online Revolution was launched on 12 Dec 2012 by Lazada and in Nov 2013 it was expanded by the Rocket Internet group to include three of its Southeast Asian based companies – Lazada, Zalora and FoodPanda – styled after the United States’ Cyber Monday, the biggest online shopping day which takes place every Monday after Thanksgiving. In Southeast Asia, the campaign, when first launched, stretched from 11 Nov to 12 Dec.
Today it covers the six SEA countries Lazada has a presence in and is now the Alibaba show after the Chinese internet giant bought a majority stake in Lazada from Rocket Internet this year after starting with a 9.1% stake in 2016.
With eCommerce growing strongly since the first sale period from Nov 2012 to Dec 2012, the Online Revolution has been broken into two parts. A single day in November and two days in Dec, from Dec 12 to 14.
In Malaysia, Lazada has constantly pushed the limits to better serve its customers and sellers as it continues to lead the eCommerce industry. Lazada Malaysia’s chief executive officer, Hans-Peter Ressel said, “Every year we see a larger pool of online shoppers, with growing diversity across generations and geographical locations. This year we continued to provide a wider range of assortments and unparalleled access for customers to our top selling categories such as Fashion and Motors & Media. Furthermore, our efforts to ‘bring the Universe’ to customers no matter where they are, allowed us to constantly connect with them; in fact, we have received more purchases this year from areas outside of Kuala Lumpur such as Kangar, Lundu, Tawau and Kota Kinabalu.”
“Our record-breaking performance in the Online Revolution campaign showcases the growing trust and relevancy of eCommerce in Malaysia and how it will continue to benefit Malaysian consumers as well as the entire eCommerce ecosystem,” he concluded.
Highlights of Lazada Malaysia’s Online Revolution 12.12 – 14.12:
- Top 5 selling categories: Fashion, Motors & Media, Baby & Toys, Electronics and Groceries & Pets
- States with the most orders: Selangor, Penang, Johor and Perak
- Increased orders from areas outside of Kuala Lumpur: Kangar, Lundu, Tawau and Kota Kinabalu
- More than 227,000 pieces of fashion apparels sold
- More than 1,500 iPhones sold
- More than 26,000 toys and games sold
- More than 8,000 lipsticks sold in the first 24 hours of the 12.12 sale
- More than 7,500 bags of pet food sold
Author Name :
By commenting below, you agree to abide by our ground rules.