Celebrating women in today’s digital age
By Digital News Asia March 22, 2018
- Cyberview ‘Starter Kit’ promotes the role of women, empowered by the digital age
- Digitisation has opened up vast opportunities for female empowerment
WOMEN were the central focus of an event at the Futurise Centre in Cyberjaya on March 20. Organised by Cyberview Sdn Bhd, the forum’s programme consisted of a mini-exhibition, pocket talk sessions, and a panel discussion.
The speaker line-up consisted of businesswomen and leaders within the entrepreneurship ecosystem, with television personality Daphne Iking moderating the panel discussion. The speakers included:
- Munirah Abdul Hamid, founder and managing director of Neuramatix Sdn Bhd and a trailblazer within technology and Artificial Intelligence (AI) space;
- Christy Ng, founder of ChristyNg.com, a local shoe designing company which boasts a wide range of customer base from both the local and international front;
- Low Ngai Yuen, executive director of the Global Entrepreneurship Movement (GEM) as well as an activist and a champion of the arts;
- Amy Blair, founder and CEO of Batik Boutique, a social enterprise borne out of the desire to help mainly single or low-income mothers earn sustainable earnings through side-incomes;
- Hazel Abu Samah, executive director of marketing & communications at the Malaysian Global Innovation & Creativity Centre (MaGIC), the agency spearheading the national entrepreneurship agenda.
The panel discussion was the fourth edition of the ‘Starter Kit’ series, organised by Cyberview Sdn Bhd.
“Women Empowerment Year 2018 was incepted as a national initiative to empower and drive women into the Fourth Industrial Revolution with focused preparation in strategic clusters such as health, safety, economy, culture, and education,” said Mohd Irwan Serigar Abdullah (pic, above), chairman of Cyberview.
According to Irwan, the important takeout is the recurring impact that will reverberate through the generations to come based on initiatives carried out today. Apart from that, women representation as board members in GLCs and statutory bodies will be ensured to reach the 30% level by the end of 2018.
“I am pleased to see that the fourth edition of the Cyberview ‘Starter Kit’ series promotes the role of women in various fields, empowered by the digital age,” added Irwan.
Themed ‘Redefining the Role of Women in the Digital Age’, the panel session explored areas including the current landscape for women in the respective fields of each panel speaker; the opportunities that exist in today’s fast-paced digital world; and the avenues available for women to grow in different roles in the digital space.
Ultimately, it was a session highlighting the personal and professional journeys of women from various backgrounds and industries, coming together to share their thoughts and hopes for the future of women everywhere in this fast-paced world.
Speaking about encouraging STEM education among young talent, Munirah said that, “I believe that girls outperform boys in school in STEM education. It is only in their choice of careers where they usually hold back, giving priority to their feminine roles.
“This is where we can try to improve the ecosystem to support the participation of women in this field instead of having them choose something less demanding.”
Hazel discussed the opportunities available for women entrepreneurs on the local front.
“‘Empowered women build better lives’. I read this in an article recently and it has stayed with me because it is absolutely true. Digitisation has opened up vast opportunities for female empowerment and for a more equal female participation in many different fields including entrepreneurship.
“One the greatest contribution of digitalisation is providing women with opportunities to collaborate and share information, have better access to health and educational services, opportunities to generate income, and have their voices heard.”
The event celebrating women was held at Futurise Centre in Cyberjaya, an IP and commercialisation hub with facilities and programmes aimed at strengthening Cyberjaya’s position further as a Global Technology Hub.
Author Name :
By commenting below, you agree to abide by our ground rules.