Mobile operators still discussing 5G reference access offer
By Digital News Asia April 11, 2022
- Operators seeking further clarity on items in the published RAO
- Concerns previously raised with DNB, MCMC have not been addressed
Malaysia mobile operators, Celcom Axiata Berhad, Digi Telecommunications Sdn Bhd, Maxis Berhad and U Mobile Sdn Bhd, have yet to agree to key terms in the Reference Access Offer (RAO) that was recently published by Digital Nasional Bhd (DNB).
All four operators believe that reaching agreement with DNB and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commmision (MCMC) on this as a key step before discussion on commercial access agreements can commence, they jointly said in a statement
The operators said to this end, they remain in discussions with MCMC to seek more clarity on some of the details in the published RAO.
The telcos said a recent analyst report may be read as suggesting that open topics between DNB and DNB’s key prospective customers had been resolved, but this interpretation would be inaccurate.
They are of the view that a majority of concerns and issues previously raised and discussed with MCMC and DNB have not yet been adequately addressed in the current document, including key principles proposed for the RAO to be consistent with industry best practices.
As a result, the RAO in its current published form will not enable affordable and quality 5G services for the rakyat and businesses in Malaysia, and will impede the acceleration of 5G services and penetration in the country, the telcos added.
The operators remain committed to continued discussions with MCMC and the industry on the RAO, and look forward to playing an active role in 5G implementation in line with the nation’s digital ambitions.
They added that 5G will bring significant benefits to businesses, customers, and the government in strengthening Malaysia’s competitiveness in the region.
Related Stories :